Aviation safety: Are you ready?


The FAASTeam’s mission is to improve the nation’s aviation safety record by conveying safety principles and practices through training, outreach and education.

At the same time, FAASTeam managers and program managers establish industry alliances and encourage continual growth of a positive safety culture within the aviation community.

One of the national projects is aimed at reducing pilot deviations. These were higher in 2007 than any other year. Surface incidents represent about 25% of deviations, while air deviations accounted for the remaining 75%. Air violations involving the ADIZ and those occurring during Presidential TFRs have continued to be leading areas of concern.

Aviation safety data is compiled to identify factors that cause accidents. Knowledge of the factors that cause a mishap, during a particular phase of flight, allow for training that will preclude mishaps in similar circumstances. Methods to mitigate risk are developed based on knowledge gained during the review of accident data.

The FAASTeam’s priority is promoting aviation safety. FAASTeam program managers are not tasked with duties other than those oriented to the FAASTeam mission. Although FAASTeam Program Managers are FAA inspectors, they normally do not conduct certification (check rides), surveillance (ramp checks), or enforcement actions associated with the violation of FAA regulations.

The FAASTeam collaborates and teams with anyone who makes a conscious effort to promote aviation safety and become part of the shift in safety culture.

The FAASTeam will help the FAA and industry focus their resources on combined efforts to reach our common goal of reducing accidents. Join the FAASTeam at FAASafety.gov and be part of the solution.

Take Wing

The FAASTeam also oversees the Wings Pilot Proficiency Program. A full list of seminars, ranging from “GPS from the ground up” to “Takeoff, Approaches and Landings,” as well as location-specific pilot briefings, is online at FAASafety.gov.

Kevin Clover is national FAASTeam manager.


  1. Tom Helm says

    I have a problem with the presidential TFR’s. I think their size is way to large, the major reason for infractions by unaware pilots. Smaller TFR’s would be less intrusive to general aviation economy and easier to enforce. The area of a 30 mile radius TFR is 2826 miles. A 5 mile radius would be only 78.5 miles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *