The National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI) and Avemco Insurance Co. kicked off the New Year by launching a new non-owned insurance program for flight instructors. The new NAFI CFI Insurance Program features expanded professional liability coverage and liability limit options for type-specific aircraft, including traditional single and multiengine aircraft, along with offerings for seaplane, experimental and light sport airplanes. Automatically included is non-owned coverage for personal flying.
“We have been working hard over the last year to find improvements in non-owned aircraft insurance, including professional liability coverage, for our members. We believe that as of today, the new NAFI CFI Insurance Program, available exclusively to NAFI members, is a much improved plan,” said Jason Blair, executive director of NAFI.
“We worked closely with NAFI to develop this program with the knowledge that professional flight instructors need the right insurance when they’re actively giving flight instruction to their students. This alliance is important to us because we recognize the professionalism in flight instruction that NAFI and all of its members bring to the flight training community,” added Jim Lauerman, president of Avemco.
The policy is for NAFI CFIs who instruct in an aircraft they don’t own and includes these policy features and benefits:
- Professional liability that includes covered liability claims from past instruction as long as the NAFI member has a current policy in force at the time of the accident
- Option to save on premiums by only purchasing coverage for the select type aircraft in which the CFI instructs
- 19 limit options for Aircraft Damage Liability (ADL) coverage
- Up to 10% annual premium credit with the Avemco Safety Rewards Program
These are joined by standard coverages including:
- Liability coverage for flight instruction, flight reviews evaluation, flight check rides and flight examination
- Bodily injury sub limit option up to $200,000
- Options of up to $150,000 ADL limits
- Covers the aircraft owner’s loss of use claim
- $1,000 No-Fault deductible coverage if ADL purchased
- Lower premiums offered for NAFI members holding a Master CFI certification
- Coverage available in Alaska (additional charges apply)