Digital Aviation has released a lower cost iPhone/iPod touch version of its mobile flight simulator for radio navigation training. Radio Navigation Simulator is a 2D flight simulator, designed for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, that enables pilots and students to practice and become proficient in the use and management of VOR, VOR-DME and ADF instruments, all displayed with a Directional Gyro on a realistic flight panel, company officials said.
Radio Navigation Simulator (RNS) is flown in a Synthetic Flight Environment, with real world derived aeronautical data, using latitude and longitude mapping, where realistic flight training can take place, officials add.
- Flight Environment mapped in Latitude and Longitude.
- RNS operates with a Synthetic Aeronautical Database.
- The Radio Navigation Facilites area is approx 300 x 200 nm.
- Unrestricted Lat & Long flight outside of Facilities area.
- Area Navigation Facilities are VOR, VOR-DME and NDB.
- Scaleable Chart with Facilities, Idents, and Aircraft symbols.
- Full Chart management with VOR Radials and Planned Routes.
- Aircraft Track Trail can be displayed, or suppressed.
- Flight Panel and Navigation Chart simultaneously displayed.
- Realistic Flight Panel with the following Instruments:
- VOR, DME, ADF (RMI or RBI) and Directional Gyro .
- Manageable Radios for ADF, NAV1 and NAV2 (with DME).
- Airspeed range 60 to 600 knots.
- Altitude management and display.
- Flight profile in Real or Compressed Time.
- Wind velocity, 0 to 99 kts, from any direction, steady or variable.
- Dead Reckoning Navigation Capability.
- Intuitive Multi-Gesture Operated User Interface.
- Touch Button Flying Controls.
- PopUp Toolbars & Annunciators to manage Flight Panel facilities.
- PopUp Toolbars and Icons to manage Chart facilities.
- Embedded – Getting Started Help.
- Printable Radio Navigation exercises with charts.
Radio Navigation Simulator apps are available now on the App Store, priced at $4.99 (in the US) for the iPhone/iPod touch version, or $9.99 (in the U.S) for the Universal (iPad, iPhone & iPod touch) version.
For more information: DigitalAviation.com
People who read this article also read articles on airparks, airshow, airshows, avgas, aviation fuel, aviation news, aircraft owner, avionics, buy a plane, FAA, fly-in, flying, general aviation, learn to fly, pilots, Light-Sport Aircraft, LSA, and Sport Pilot.