As the airshow season kicks into high gear, the GEICO Skytypers begin their 2012 season at the Lauderdale Air Show in Florida April 28-29.
The team’s first eight shows provide back-to-back opportunities to see their performance at venues along the East Coast from Fort Lauderdale to Jones Beach, N.Y.
In 2011, a new airshow routine was designed and refined during the first several shows of the season. In 2012, this perfected low-level precision flying demonstration will be performed at a dozen air shows between April and October.
In addition to their air show performances, the GEICO Skytypers will also skytype giant billboards in the sky. These dot-matrix style messages typed at 10,000 feet are 1,000 feet tall, can be viewed from 15 miles away in any direction, and are created 17 times faster than the more traditional sky writing method, officials said.
At select air shows, there will be an added attraction as the GEICO Skytypers challenge their water-borne counterparts, the Miss GEICO powerboat team. One pilot from the GEICO Skytypers will fly along the waterfront to race the Miss GEICO Mystic on the water below. The Miss GEICO powerboat team participates in sanctioned, offshore racing events and has won six world championships.
A 2012 preview video is available for viewing on the home page of the team’s website
The GEICO Skytypers 2012 airshow schedule include:
- April 28-29 Lauderdale Air Show Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- May 5-6 Shaw Air Expo Shaw AFB, SC
- May 12-13 Joint Base Open House and Air Show McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, NJ
- May 19-20 Andrews Joint Services Open House Andrews AFB, Md.
- May 26-27 Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air Show Jones Beach, NY
- June 2-3 Virginia Beach Air Show Virginia Beach, Va.
- June 9-10 OC Air Show Ocean City, Md.
- June 16-17 Rhode Island Open House Air Show ANG Quonset Point, RI
- Aug. 4-5 Great New England Air Show Westover AFB, Mass.
- Aug. 17 AC Air Show Thunder Over the Boardwalk Atlantic City, NJ
- Oct. 13-14 Wings and Waves Air Show Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Oct. 27-28 Jacksonville Beach Air Show Jacksonville Beach, Fla.
People who read this article also read articles on airparks, airshow, airshows, avgas, aviation fuel, aviation news, aircraft owner, avionics, buy a plane, FAA, fly-in, flying, general aviation, learn to fly, pilots, Light-Sport Aircraft, LSA, and Sport Pilot.