Contract awarded for runway project at BVS

The Port of Skagit in Burlington, Wash., has awarded a contract for a major maintenance and standards project on the main runway at Skagit Regional Airport (BVS) to Scarsella Bros. Inc. of Seattle.

The contractor’s winning bid for construction of the Runway 10-28 Crown Conversion and Longitudinal Gradient Adjustment was $8,562,798.25. That makes the project the most expensive capital improvement in the 48-year history of the port, according to officials.

The project is the second in a series of two improvement projects on Runway 10-28 to bring the surface to FAA pavement standards for a D-II runway (accommodating aircraft with approach speeds 121 up to 166 knots and wingspans up to 79 feet). The first phase, completed last summer, repaired soft spots in the runway by replacing the failed drainage system.

The 2012 construction work will bring the longitudinal gradient at Runway 28 into compliance with standards for Approach Category C & D aircraft and will convert the surface of the runway to a crown section to meet current FAA standards.

The project will include the following major elements:

  • The east end of the runway will be raised by approximately 5 feet, and drainage infrastructure will be installed under this portion,
  • The surface of the runway will be paved with multiple asphalt lifts to create the crown configuration.
  • Connector taxiways will be graded and paved to meet the new grades.
  • Taxiway B will be realigned to form a 90° approach to the runway and a straight connection to Taxiway G.
  • The run-up apron will be relocated to the inside of Taxiway B to be compatible with future development of the adjacent lot.
  • The Runway 10-28 lighting system will be replaced with an updated system.
  • The airport signage system will be replaced.

The project will make Skagit Regional Airport more compatible with larger business jets that already are operating on Runway 10-28, officials said, noting operations of these aircraft exceeded 300 in 2010 and are increasing. The Airport Master Plan trend analysis indicates that operations of larger business jets will reach 500 per year in the next three to eight years.

The Port of Skagit received a grant for $8,975,000 from the FAA for Phase 2 of the Runway 10-28 project last September. The FAA will pay for 95% of the project, with the port responsible for the remaining 5% in matching funds. FAA grants are funded by user fees on aviation fuel and airline operations.

For more information:


People who read this article also read articles on airparks, airshow, airshows, avgas, aviation fuel, aviation news, aircraft owner, avionics, buy a plane, FAA, fly-in, flying, general aviation, learn to fly, pilots, Light-Sport Aircraft, LSA, and Sport Pilot.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *