SALISBURY, N.C. — The Rowan Area Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 1083 has been chosen to host the EAA’s Restored B-17 “Aluminum Overcast” for its visit at the Rowan County Airport (RUQ) from Nov. 4-8.
This November the skies above Rowan County will be the extended operating area for the restored World War II era bomber. The EAAgles Nest, home hangar of EAA Chapter 1083 at RUQ, will be the operation headquarters.
Initial plans are being finalized, but at this time include:
- Ground tours from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. each day. All veterans and active duty military tour for free.
- Daily flights from the ramp between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., weather permitting. People interested in scheduling a ride can reserve a space in this historic aircraft at discounted prices at B17.org
- Ramp activities include daily souvenir trailers traveling with the tour stop committee. Lunches will be served on the ramp with members of the local EAA Chapter 1083 providing meals.
- Free observation tours.
- Special media flights for invited guests, including many of our local World War II veterans receiving a complimentary ride.
- A pre-Veterans Day dinner and “ramp” dance has been planned for Tuesday evening Nov. 5, (rain date Nov. 6) with the Catawba Collage Salisbury Swing Band being contacted to play era music for listening and dancing pleasure. Local county officials, media representatives and all area World War II veterans will be special invited guests. The general public is invited to join in for an evening of fun, remembrance, celebration and tribute.
- Plans are also being made to include other World War II re-enactment groups, including ground and aircraft displays.
For more information: EAA1083.com or 704-213-6937