The newly stabilized Ford Island Control Tower at Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor was dedicated in a ceremony on the Tower Lawn, Wednesday, Dec. 7, as part of the Pearl Harbor 70th anniversary ceremonies.
Showing off the first phase of the monumental stabilization work that has been done to save the historic landmark where the first attack alert was broadcast on Dec. 7, 1941, the Holland American Legion Band played while the flag was raised and a T-6 Texan made several passes over the assembled crowd of 200
A variety of other activities rounded out the day’s observances, including the opening of a new exhibit “Sunrise on the Fleet ~ The Final Moment of Peace” by Robert Bracci on view in Hangar 37 Gallery. An extremely detailed overhead view scale model of what the Japanese pilots saw, their first view of Oahu, just moments before the attack. Optically positions the viewer 6,000 feet above the South end of Oahu. The hand carved exhibit is on loan to the museum by the artist for one year.
To completely restore the Ford Island Control Tower, it is estimated that $7.5 million will be needed. Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie when he was in Congress was instrumental in helping to secure $3.8 million through the Department of Defense appropriations for the stabilization and restoration of an historic landmark. This allowed the museum to begin work. The museum is in a capital campaign to raise the remainder needed for the complete restoration. Donations may be made online at PacificAviationMuseum.org