Aero Twin, Inc. has received additional FAA approval for improvements in its Honeywell TPE331-12JR-701AT/-703AT engine installation in both the Cessna Caravan (Model 208) and the Grand Caravan and Super Cargomaster (Model 208B) aircraft. The original FAA Supplemental Type Certificate No. SA02291AK, was awarded to Aero Twin, Inc. by the FAA Anchorage Aircraft Certification Office on July 24, 2007, which was the first FAA certified Honeywell engine upgrade for the Caravans.
The recent improvements for the Honeywell engine conversion include:
- Flight into Known Icing conditions (FIKI) is now approved for gross weights up to 9,062 lbs. for the 208B Grand Caravans and the Super Cargomasters incorporating AeroAcoustics’ APE III gross weight increase, including aircraft with cargo pods.
- The 208 Caravan FIKI weight has been increased to 8,360 lbs.
- Relocation of the batteries to the aft fuselage maintains the aircraft’s weight and balance within its empty CG limits.
- Only factory new engines are installed with a five year/2,500 hour warranty.
- 12 month warranty on Aero Twin components.
The Honeywell engine provides 850 horsepower for the 208 Caravan and 950 horsepower for the 208B Grand Caravan and Super Cargomaster. This is an increase of power by 26% for the Caravan and 41% for the Grand Caravan. A 4-blade Hartzell propeller was selected to deliver the increased engine power, according to company officials. Instant power response and automatic power limiting allow operators to extract immediate and full power from the engine, while reducing pilot workload. An automatic starting system developed by Aero Twin, Inc. provides ease of operation.
Complete engine conversion kits are available from Aero Twin, Inc. for $720,000. A bulk of that cost will be offset by the sale of the OEM firewall forward assemblies. Aero Twin, Inc. is currently working to establish a worldwide series of approved installation centers. Installation time is estimated at one month. Complete product support for airframe modifications will be provided by Aero Twin, Inc., with engine support provided by Honeywell’s worldwide service network. The STC is not currently eligible for TKS/G-1000 equipped Caravans.