Space theme tops CalPilots annual meeting Oct. 19-21 at Mojave Air and Spaceport
By Chris Mannion and Ed Story, California Pilots Association
The California Pilots Association (CalPilots) will hold its “Meet-Us In Mojave!” 2012 Annual Meeting, taking place Oct. 19-21 at world-famous Mojave Air and Space Port. The association is inviting all pilots, aviation enthusiasts and space enthusiasts — whether they are CalPilots members or not — to the meeting.
Historic Mojave Air and Spaceport is home to more than 60 companies engaged in flight development, highly advanced aerospace design, flight test and research. At the CalPilots Annual Meeting, you’ll learn all about the “second space age” taking shape in the California Desert, including a discussion on the topic of commercial space flight Saturday, Oct. 20, with George Whitesides, CEO and President of Virgin Galactic.
In addition, you’ll hear from the real “Next Generation” of space pioneers from such cutting-edge ventures as:
- XCOR Aerospace, builders of the commercial reusable Lynx spacecraft
- Tour the Orbital Sciences “Stargazer” L-1011/100 Pegasus launch vehicle
- Firestar Technologies: builders of advanced maneuvering rockets and power systems
Other attractions at the event include:
- Learn about the game-changing Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, builders of the MQ-1 Predator and MQ-9 Reaper
- Learn about challenges integrating UAS into the National Airspace System by a lead Predator and Reaper project officer, former USAF test pilot and “drone driver”
- Get details on the Perlan project to put a manned glider into the near-space of 90,000 in the Polar Vortex
- A presentation by the only civilian test pilot school in the U.S — the National Test Pilot School (NTPS)
- Mojave Airport Plane Crazy Saturday fly-in and static displays
- CalPilots Meet-n- Greet Friday evening social… Everyone invited!
California Pilots Association (CalPilots) is a state-wide 501( c )(3) non-profit airport advocacy organization, whose volunteer-members are dedicated to the preservation California’s airports, protecting the rights of general aviation pilots, and promoting the interests of general aviation. One of the principle goals of the annual meeting is to highlight the group’s progress on important airport advocacy issues in 2012 as well as promote participation and membership in CalPilots.
Lodging: Mention “CalPilots” for a special event rate at the Mirah Country Inn and Suites. Contact the Mariah Inn through their website, by telephone at 866-MARIAH1, or by email to Manager Kathy Benson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration: Member cost for the entire event is $35 per person and includes Saturday lunch and dinner. The special member rate is extended to your spouse or significant other. Non-member cost is $55 per attendee, which includes one year’s membership at a discounted rate of $20 (normally $35 per year).