William T. Piper Jr., scion of the aircraft family that made the Piper Cub world famous, died Aug. 24. He was 95.
He was a resident of Marco Island, Fla., and spent summers in Lock Haven, Pa.
A pioneer in general aviation, Piper joined the company founded by his father, William T. Piper Sr., in 1934 after graduating from Harvard University. He became president in 1968 when the company’s worldwide sales reached $96 million annually. In 1970, he was named chairman of the board, by which time Piper had manufactured 86,000 planes. He remained chairman until 1973 when the company was sold and moved to Vero Beach, Fla.
He represented his company as an officer and director of the Aircraft Industries Association and served as a director of the Utility Aircraft Council of the AIA. When general aviation manufacturers decided to break away from the large airline and military manufacturers, he helped organize the General Aviation Manufacturers Association.
He joined with his family in establishing the Piper Foundation, which helped support educational, recreational and cultural projects and facilities that benefit public health. He also helped establish the Piper Aviation Museum in Lock Haven.
Memorial donations may be made to the Piper Aviation Museum, 1 Piper Way, Lock Haven, Pa., 17745, or the Piper Foundation, c/o Mrs. John Bert, 516 Mawman Ave., Lake Bluff, Ill., 60044.