Vertical Power has introduced the VP-X Configurator, a Windows PC-based utility that allows builders to configure and control the electrical system on their experimental aircraft.
The VP-X Configurator connects via an Ethernet cable to the VP-X Electronic Circuit Breaker (ECB) system, which provides power switching and circuit protection for avionics, lights, contactors, and trim and flap motors. The VP-X Configurator is designed to be used while the aircraft is being built and tested.
The VP-X Configurator, when used with the VP-X Electronic Circuit Breaker system, allows builders to:
- Configure and test each power circuit on the aircraft, even before the instrument panel and EFIS are installed.
- Run the trim and flap motors to calibrate the position sensors and linkage.
- Make changes to the electrical system in the future.
“The VP-X Configurator offers builders a very simple and fast way to get their electrical system set up and provides powerful tools for troubleshooting,” said Marc Ausman, president of Vertical Power Inc. “To our knowledge, this system provides the easiest way to install and configure an electrical system in experimental aircraft.”
The VP-X Configurator provides builders the following features from a Windows PC:
- Turn electrical devices on and off and move the trim and flap motors.
- View current draw (in amps) for each individual electrical circuit on the aircraft.
- Set the circuit breaker value and switch assignment for each power pin.
- Calibrate the flap position sensors, circuit breakers, and intermediate flap stops.
- Configure the landing light wig wag (pulsing) system.
- Configure the overvoltage protection settings.
- Reset circuit faults. Save the configuration to a PC.
- Update the firmware on the VP-X.
During normal flight and ground operations, the VP-X integrates with Advanced Flight Systems, GRT Avionics, and MGL Avionics EFIS products, which all display the status of each electrical circuit right on the EFIS screen. Further, users can reset circuit faults right from the EFIS.
The VP-X Pro retails for $1,800, the VP-X Sport for $1,200. A complete wiring harness including more than 600 feet of wire and connectors is also available. The VP-X is for use with experimental and light sport aircraft.
For more information: VerticalPower.com