COPIAH, Miss. – The first new runway constructed in more than a decade in the state of Mississippi will be unveiled at a celebratory ribbon cutting and fly-in at the Copiah County Airport (M11) on Saturday, Nov. 1 at 10 a.m.
The new 4,000-foot runway, with runway lights and pilot navigational aids, replaces an outdated 3,000-foot runway, according to airport officials.
Aircraft operators will benefit from the longer length and the airport will be able to welcome more complex aircraft, according to Ronnie Barlow, County Administrator.
“Not only has our safety and operational capacity been improved with this new runway, but the economic impact opportunities to enhance our communities and county will have a tremendous long-term benefit.” he explained.
An airport fly-in will be hosted by the county and Grassroots Aviation, the airport’s FBO, along with a special ribbon cutting ceremony as part of the Saturday celebration.
The new runway cost approximately $6 million for land acquisition, design and construction. The FAA paid 90% of the project cost with Copiah County and MDOT paying the remaining 10%.