Garmin has updated its Garmin Pilot app for Android, which includes integration with the new GTX 345 ADS-B In/Out transponder, as well as additional trip planning enhancements and more.
GTX 345 Integration
Regardless of existing avionics configuration, the new GTX 345 ADS-B In/Out transponder pairs with Garmin Pilot for Android to wirelessly display:
- Subscription-free Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) weather;
- Complete picture of ADS-B equipped traffic, leveraging exclusive TargetTrend and TerminalTraffic;
- GPS position information;
- Back-up attitude information powering the rich, SVX synthetic vision and Garmin panel;
- Trip Planning Enhancements.
Pilots can select the best suitable altitude for their intended route of flight using the Altitude Selector Guide.
The Altitude Selector Guide can be accessed within the Trip Planning form, which displays fuel burn, estimated time enroute, as well as headwind or tailwind components. Pilots can then select IFR/VFR and an East/West heading to derive the correct altitude for their flight.
urther aiding in fuel and trip planning, a Minimum Flight Requirement warning will populate when the TAF for the departure or destination airports is at or below IFR minimums. This warning populates as a yellow triangle in the following areas:
- Trip Planning icon on the main menu;
- Departure/destination airport on the Trip Planning form;
- Within the Upcoming Trip page;
- For IFR flights, the Alternate Airport Selection Guide displays airport information along with ceiling and visibility. Pilots can simply select an airport to easily file it as an alternate airport.
When paired with the GDL 39, GDL 39 3D, GDL 88 or Flight Stream 110/210, Garmin Pilot incorporates:
- Visual and aural ADS-B traffic alerts;
- Airports can optionally be viewed in Google Maps;
- Enhanced airport widget provides quick access to information including elevation, frequencies, runway and traffic patterns;
- Support for multiple latitude/longitude formats when adding custom user waypoints;
- Chart search is improved to display all charts for an airport and are sorted and color-coded by chart type.
The latest version of Garmin Pilot for Android is available immediately in the U.S. as a free update for existing Garmin Pilot subscribers. For new customers, Garmin Pilot is available in the Google Play store as a free trial for the first 30 days.