Aspen Avionics has received FAA certification to interface its Evolution 1000 Pro Primary Flight Display (PFD) with the System 55X autopilot (S-TEC) by Genesys Aerosystems. The STC covers hundreds of light single and twin piston aircraft platforms.
According to company officials, benefits include:
- Reduces workload: No multiple altimeter setting adjustment required; engagement of autopilot functions are faster and simpler;
- Panel upgrades improve instrument scan: Replaces separate monochrome displays, push buttons and panel knobs with a full color display directly in the pilot’s line of sight;
- Saves panel space: Consolidates annunciation into a primary display, eliminating the need for a remote annunciator;
- Automatic level-off with no altitude overshoot: Adds altitude preselect integrated with commanded “smart” vertical speed technology. Reduces vertical speed as the preselected altitude is approached.
Key features include:
- Ability to set desired vertical speed and altitude on the PFD;
- All autopilot annunciations are displayed in the pilot’s line of sight on the PFD display reducing pilot scan;
- Adds flight director capability for coupled autopilot operations; as well as while hand flying for smoother control;
- Autopilot vertical speed command reduces when approaching set altitude for a smooth transition to level off during altitude capture.
Integrating the System 55X autopilot with Aspen displays requires a software unlock and Analog Converter Unit 2 (ACU2). The software unlock is priced at $1,995 for customers who already have an ACU2 installed. For those customers who require an ACU2, bundled pricing for the ACU2 and System 55X unlock is $2,995.