Though Murphy Aircraft struck a deal in early 2009 to sell the rights and assets of the Murphy Renegade line of aircraft, the buyer was unable to nail down the financing, and has lost its option, which means the rights to manufacture the Renegade and Renegade Spirit, including customer leads and inquiries, intellectual property, fixtures and inventory, are again available. In addition, Darryl Murphy, designer of the Renegade and Renegade Spirit, will be available on a consulting basis.
The Renegade is a light weight, two seat, open air, positive stagger biplane, built from a kit. It was designed as an easy-to-build and easy-to-fly biplane that is capable of basic aerobatic maneuvers. Its fuselage is aluminum tube assembled with a proprietary extrusion at each tube cluster. The wings are constructed from stamped aluminum ribs over formed aluminum “C” channel rear spars and extruded rectangular main spars. The complete structure is covered with lightweight fabric. The most commonly used engines at the present time are the Rotax 912 and 912S, 80 or 100 hp. Recently, the Rotec Radial engine of 110 hp has been gaining popularity in the Renegade; and smaller engines, down to 447cc, are also validated on this design. More than 700 kits have been sold.
Included in the sale are:
- Design rights for parts and aircraft
- Manual, blueprints and operators manual
- All drawings
- All leads and inquiries from the last year
- Design calculation book for the standard Renegade and Renegade Spirit
- Design report for the Rotec radial-engine model.
- Copies of brochures, price lists etc.
- Suppliers list
- Customer list
- All existing inventory
- Fiberglass molds
- Welding fixtures
- Blanking dies
- Forming dies
- Drilling jigs
- Router jigs
- Assembly tables and jigs
- Custom extrusions
- One partially assembled aircraft.
- Some basic training in assembly and use of fixtures and tooling, both to familiarize the new owner with the aircraft and processes and to verify all tooling, drawings, and documentation prior to shipment of same to the Buyer’s new location.