WSI (Weather Services International) has launched WSI Pilotbrief Optima, an enhanced, online version of the WSI Pilotbrief service.
Within a matter of seconds, pilots can now receive a crystal clear and actionable view of potential weather impacts and optimize plans accordingly, according to company officials, who add the benefits include quicker aircraft turnaround times and improved mission planning and safety, among others.
The WSI Pilotbrief Optima service features a new mapping engine with high definition convective weather depiction and enhanced global overlays. When combined with flight plan and airspace overlays, the high definition weather information improves route planning and builds confidence in decision making, company officials say. The new release also enables a high level of personalization and ‘mid-task’ customization to further streamline pilot workflow, they add.
Enhanced features include:
- High Definition (HD) Map – This new mapping engine combines high fidelity and personalization to take the guess work out of mission planning.
- High Definition (HD) Weather Layers – This includes enhanced Radar, Satellite IR, Vertically Integrated Liquid (VIL) and EchoTop mosaics. Most notably, the new EchoTop mosaic offers a four- fold improvement in spatial resolution that clearly shows the highest tops of greatest concern, improving confidence in route planning and decision making, officials say.
- Global Lightning – With an optional overlay to WSI’s proprietary Global Lightning Network (GLN), pilots can identify areas of strongest convective activity outside ground-based weather radar range.
- SATrad – Derived from satellite imagery and high resolution model data, WSI’s proprietary SATrad provides a synthesized depiction of convection throughout the tropics. When combined with global lightning, pilots can pinpoint the areas of strongest convection to avoid.
- Enhanced Airport and Route Briefings – WSI’s proprietary briefing engine delivers the most relevant weather and NOTAM information for your mission.
Over the next few months, WSI Pilotbrief Optima will be available in an iPad version, a lock-down browser version and a kiosk version for FBOs. WSI also provides free access to basic weather information at www.pilotbrief.com/optima