Aspen Avionics, manufacturer of the Evolution Flight Display system, has received FAA certification for its Evolution VFR PFD, a glass panel display designed specifically for pilots flying in the Visual Flight Rules (VFR) environment. Deliveries begin this month.
Aspen officials noted that the company’s market research concluded VFR pilots and non-current IFR pilots represent more than 50% of the flying population.
“From the very beginning, Aspen has been committed to developing general aviation solutions that are innovative, safe, affordable, and contribute to the future growth of the pilot community. This is a segment of the flying public that has been underserved with an affordable glass panel solution,” said John Uczekaj, Aspen president and CEO.
Priced at $4,995, the VFR PFD will meet the needs of the VFR pilot, as well as meet future IFR rating goals through a software upgrade, according to company officials.
The upgrade, priced at $4,690, enables the VFR PFD to function as a Pro PFD and supports the following functions:
- Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI)
- RMI bearing pointers
- Lateral and vertical deviation indicators (ILS, localizer, VOR, GPS, vertical guidance)
- Decision Height (with compatible radar altimeters)
- Radio altimeter (with compatible radar altimeters)
- Flight director (with Aircraft Control Unit (ACU)
- XM weather
- Traffic (TAS)
- Lightning (Stormscope)
- Synthetic Vision (must first be upgraded to EFD1000 Pro)
- ADS-B capability
For more information: AspenAvionics.com