“We are really excited about offering the Gemini Diesel engine on our Legend Cub,” said Darin Hart, president, during AirVenture 2015 in Oshkosh. “With its high torque, very efficient fuel burn and the ability to run on Jet A, diesel or bio-diesel fuels, the 100-hp Gemini will be an extremely popular engine option for Legend Cub buyers around the world.”
The engine was introduced in April, noted Scott Hayes, VP Sales and Marketing for Superior Air Parts, “and to already have a mock-up mounted on a Legend Cub here at Oshkosh is a tremendous testament to the growth opportunities this engine brings to the LSA segment.”
A Legend Cub fuselage with a full mock-up of the Gemini 100 diesel installation was on display at the Superior Air Parts booth (#257) during the fly-in.
“With an installed weight of just under 200 pounds, we expect the 100-hp Gemini Diesel to deliver performance comparable to the O-200 powered Legend Cub, but with greener operations, greater fuel efficiency and Jet A/diesel fuel flexibility,” Hart said. “We are especially excited to offer the diesel option to our owners who operate in remote locations or in parts of the world where 100LL avgas is expensive or difficult to find. The Gemini Diesel option will really expand the reach of Legend Cub aircraft.”
About the Gemini Diesel engine:
- Projected to have up to 20% lower fuel burn than conventional engines;
- Jet A is a global fuel solution with better availability, quality, consistency and pricing;
- Operators can fly the same range as a standard engine on less fuel or get more range on an equal fuel load;
- High power-to-weight ratio;
- Highly efficient, two-stroke power;
- Higher engine torque at lower RPM;
- Mechanically simpler design, with fewer moving parts;
- Retrofittable with many current piston engine designs; and
- Greener operations with much lower emissions.