All of Garmin’s pilot training opportunities through June 2021 will be in a virtual learning format.
While Garmin usually holds training opportunities in person throughout the year, that has changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. That led the company to introduce a variety of virtual training opportunities, ranging from Garmin pilot’s guides, PC trainers, eLearning courses, and monthly customer webinars.
Instructor-led virtual training
Instructors focus on scenario-based training through scheduled and on-demand sessions intended for all levels of experience. To see the full calendar of Garmin training events and information on purchasing these classes, go to Fly.Garmin.com/Training.
Courses are available for a variety of Garmin’s products, including the GTN and GTN Xi series of navigators, the G1000, Aviation Weather Radar, and more. The company also will create custom on-demand training for customers.
Pilots also can receive instruction through eLearning courses that guide them through scenarios intended to build understanding and proficiency with Garmin avionics. Using a computer, tablet or smartphone, pilots can access the courseware immediately through the eLearning platform. Garmin eLearning courses come with a two-year subscription and can be purchased at Fly.Garmin.com/Training.
eLearning opportunities include:
- Garmin GTN Essentials 2.0: This course provides instruction on the fundamental operation of the GTN and GTN Xi touchscreen navigators, as well as helicopter features, for pilots that are new to the GTN or just want a refresher.
- Garmin TXi Essentials: For pilots who are new to the system, this course will provide instruction on fundamental operation of the touchscreen flight display.
- Garmin G1000 NXi: Pilots will have four comprehensive courses to choose from that will provide training on the G1000 NXi depending on the needs of the pilot to enable effective use of situational awareness and decision-making resources the system provides. All four courses will be available by December 2020.
- Garmin G3000 Essentials: This eLearning course introduces pilots to the operation and user interface of Garmin’s most advanced flight decks.
- Garmin G5000 Essentials 2.0 and 2.0 PLUS: Introduces pilots to the operation and user interface of Garmin’s most advanced flight decks and latest features. The G5000 Essentials 2.0 PLUS course includes a separate module that describes autothrottle usage.
- Garmin Aviation Weather Radar 2.0: Diving deeper than the weather radar section in the Pilot’s Guide, this course helps pilots understand the fundamentals of weather radar and take full advantage of Garmin GWX systems.
Monthly one-hour webinars
These no-cost one-hour scenario-based webinars are held monthly to explore various avionics setups, flight planning, navigation and other features with our pilot trainers.
To register for Aviation Webinars, go to Garmin.com/AviationWebinars.
Webinar topics include:
- Garmin G3X Touch Scenario-based Pilot Training
- Garmin GPS Navigator Scenario-based Training
- Garmin GTN & TXi Scenario-based Training
- Garmin GNSTM Scenario-based Pilot Training
- Garmin Accident Mitigation Pilot Training
- Garmin Presents: Cirrus Perspective + Scenario-based Pilot Training
- Garmin GTN Mini-scenarios – Pilot Training
Pilot’s guides provide information on features, functions, and capabilities related to Garmin avionics that the pilot must know in order to operate the aircraft. Free pilot’s guides are available for download for all retrofit installations including the GTN series, GTN Xi series, G500/G600, G500/G600/G700 TXi, and G3X Touch. For integrated flight decks such as the G1000, G3000 and G5000, the pilot’s guides are available from the aircraft manufacturer.
PC and iPad Trainers
To provide a way to learn the basic operation of a system, Garmin offers a limited number of computer (PC) and iPad trainers that simulate the behavior of an avionics system interface. Current PC trainers can be found at www.Garmin.com, and the GTN, GTN Xi, and TXi series trainer apps are available for download from the Apple App Store.