Angel Flight Northeast (AFNE) is celebrating its 15th year of service. AFNE was founded by Larry Camerlin, an avid pilot and retired business owner along with Eugene Loubier, the former president and CEO of a Massachusetts-based hospital, with the intent to provide adults and children with free transportation to access life-saving medical care.
“We are not only excited, but also honored to be celebrating such a wonderful milestone,” said Camerlin. “Over the past 15 years, Angel Flight NE has provided thousands of journeys of healing and hope to so many patients and their families. This accomplishment would not be possible without the continued enormous dedication of our volunteer pilots, Earth Angels and staff along with the generous support of our sponsors and donors. We are so very thankful and blessed that each of them has joined us in this incredible journey.”
Fifteen years later, AFNE is supporting even more patients and families in need by providing flights of healing and hope during these individuals’ times of greatest need. The organization has also become a partner with other local and national organizations to transport organs, blood, patients awaiting transplants, and humanitarian flights – flying loved ones to visit and support critically ill family members.
Since its first flight on May 31, 1996, AFNE has:
- Scheduled nearly 50,000 flights; averaging 100 flights coordinated per week;
- Provided nearly 60,000 children and adults air transportation to medical care by both private aircraft and commercial airlines;
- 1,000+ Volunteer Pilots have flown over 9 million miles;
- 200+ Volunteers & Earth Angels, our ground crew, provide essential ground transportation and services;
- Serves patients in a total of 23 states primarily focused on all six (6) New England states, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania;
- Provides $5 in medical air transport services for every $1 raised as a result of the in-kind products and services provided by our sponsors and generous pilots.
AFNE has received numerous recognitions and awards since its inception. The organization has been featured on local and national television such as Boston Fox25; CNN’s “Headline News”; NBC’s “The Today Show” and Boston’s ABC, NBC and CBS affiliates. AFNE has been the recipient of awards including National Child Labor Committee’s 1999 Special Lewis Hine Award and “The Hero Among Us” awarded by the Boston Celtics and Boston Globe. Most recently, AFNE was recognized as the 2010 Family Advocate of the Year by Boston Parents Paper and the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation awarded one of our volunteer pilots with the Community MVP.
For more information: Angelflightne.org