SULPHUR SPRINGS, Texas – American Legend Aircraft Co. launched its Lycoming-powered Super Legend on the grounds of SUN ‘n FUN 2014, with the arrival of three new aircraft.
The company also announced first customer deliveries of the Super Legend. The aircraft received its FAA approval last November. Currently, production is underway on an order book of nine aircraft with four having been delivered to customers.
The all-new Super Legend follows the Legend Cub, an airplane that was introduced at SUN ‘n FUN 2005. An idea that evolved over the nine-year period, the Super Legend will appeal to sport and adventure pilots, and is designed for backcountry and pleasure flying, according to company officials.
Design of the new Super Legend was inspired by one of the most useful and practical aircraft in all of aviation —the Piper Super Cub, a versatile and wildly popular airframe that has been repeatedly imitated.
The Super Legend first flew on Jan. 12, 2012. Its design objectives included a quest for a higher performance in the ultimate two-seater, according to company officials. Lycoming had just released its re-engineered YO-233 flat-four engine, a powerhouse capable of running on a choice of available fuels. The Lycoming YO-233 in the Super Legend, as expected, extends the aircraft’s performance with shorter takeoffs and greater range, company officials said.
Super Legend features include:
- Same Proven Airfoil as Piper Super Cub with 35’6” Wing Span
- 3-Inch Wider Cabin Than Piper Super Cub
- Classic PA-18 Pressure Cowling of Super Strong, Lightweight Carbon Fiber
- Carbon Fiber Doors, Floorboards, Interior and Baggage Panels, Spinner, Wingtip Bows
- CNC Cut Tubing and TIG Welded Fuselage
- Classic Super Cub Paint Scheme with Custom Options
- Basic Empty Weight Starting at 846 pounds
- Equivalent Power-to-Weight Ratio of 150-hp Piper Super Cub
- 115-hp (at 2800 rpm) Lycoming YO-233 Engine with Electronic Ignition
- Lightweight Engine Saves 35 pounds Over Comparable CC340
- Full Power Available in All Phases of Flight
- Center-line Thrust Engine Mount
- Multi-fuel Capable: 100LL and Unleaded Automotive Gas
- Full Electrical System with Starter and Alternator
- 76″ Sensenich Ground Adjustable Propeller (48” / 50” / 52” pitch), or Cato Propeller
- Extended Span Flap System
- Aerodynamically Balanced Tail Surfaces
- 32-Gallon Fuel System with Right/Left/Both/Off Selector
- Dual Doors and Windows Fully Operable In Flight
- Dual Controls with Front Seat Solo Pilot Position
- L-bird Style Greenhouse Skylight and Rear Windows
- Instrument Panel Options include: VFR, Night VFR, Smart Cub Glass Panel, Autopilot, and More
- Instrument Panel Tilted Forward Adding Extra Room and Enhanced Visibility
- Heel-operated Brakes with Parking Brake System, Optional Toe Brakes
- External Baggage Door with Folding and Removable Rear Seat
- Extended Baggage Compartment Options
- Complete Aircraft Tested to ASTM F2245 Standards at 1,750 pounds Gross Weight
- Sport Pilot Certified to 1320 pounds Gross Weight S-LSA
- Also Available as a Kit-built Aircraft
For more information: 903-885-7000 or Legend.aero