WINDSOR LOCKS, CONN. — The New England Air Museum is offering an array of family fun activities during December School Vacation Week, Monday, Dec. 26 through Friday, Dec. 30.
Explore three exhibit hangars filled with more than 60 historic aircraft, and experience the wonders of flight through hands-on activities, including daily hands-on Build & Fly Challenges, interactive Flight Science Demonstrations, computerized Flight Simulators, and Open Cockpit Experiences in historic aircraft.
Visitors can also take to the skies at the museum’s Virtual Flight Center using advanced, three screen yoke and pedal flight simulators. The Virtual Flight Center is open to visitors ages 10 and older and a $5 fee person fee applies for a 30 minute flight.
In addition to these daily activities, the following special events are scheduled:
- Monday, Dec. 26: Aviation Art Station, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Using an array of art making materials, visitors will create imaginative works of aviation art to take home.
- Tuesday, Dec. 27: Aeromodeling Workshop, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Build and test fly your own balsa airplane model with our expert aeromodelers. This workshop is designed for children ages 8 and older. All children must be accompanied by an adult, and there is a $5 cost per model kit.
- Wednesday, Dec. 28: Rocket Balloons, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Discover the history of rocketry by designing, building and racing your own rocket balloon down our rocket race track.
- Thursday, Dec. 29: Frisbee Flight, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Learn the science behind how frisbees fly by building and launching your own paper plate frisbee to take home.
- Friday, Dec. 30: LEGO Flying Machine Contest, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Children ages 3-12 will built their own futuristic flying machine using the New England Air Museum’s collection of LEGOs. Prizes will be awarded in three age categories, and winners need not be present to win.
All activities are included with the price of admission except where noted.
The New England Air Museum is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day. The museum is closed on Mondays during the winter season with the exception of holidays and during school vacation weeks. Admission is $12.50 for ages 12 and up, $11.50 for seniors 65 and up and $7 for ages 4 to 11. New England Air Museum members and children under 3 are admitted free.
The New England Air Museum is located in Windsor Locks, Connecticut adjacent to Bradley International Airport.