The 5th Annual Marvel of Flight will be held April 10-11 at Florida’s DeFuniak Springs Airport (54J). This year’s theme is “Rising Above Adversity” and will honor the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II with the RISE ABOVE Traveling Exhibit on site.
The RISE ABOVE Traveling Exhibit offers spectators a unique insight into the lives of the Tuskegee Airmen and also features a fully restored P-51 Mustang static display. In addition, a featured attraction will be the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation Wiregrass Chapter with its Huey and Cobra helicopters.
Marvel of Flight was created as the 2010-2011 class project of Leadership Walton, a program of the Walton Area Chamber. The class was challenged with bringing alternate forms of tourism throughout the county, while promoting economic development. Past Marvel of Flight events have attracted 5,000-7,000 spectators.
This year’s event will showcase a multitude of aircraft displays, flight demonstrations, career exploration exhibits, pilot workshops, concerts, free kids activities, vendors, and more.
EXHIBITS & ATTRACTIONS
- NASA Kennedy Space Center-Space and Aviation
- Southeast Alabama Rocketry Society-Model Rockets
- Eglin Aero Modellers-RC planes
- Aviation Art by Russell Ferris
- Dixie Division Military Vehicle Club
- Florida Forestry Aviation fire prevention exhibit featuring a UH-1H “Super Huey” and Cessna 182
- 4-H Youth Development Tech Wizards Program Exhibit
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Unmanned Aerial System (drone) Exhibit
- Patty Wagstaff Aerobatic Instruction Extra 300 Aircraft Exhibit
- Walton High School Tuskegee Airmen Display
Other events include: Aircraft judging, helicopter rides in a Vietnam-era Huey and Cobra, bi-plane rides, the RE/MAX Balloon team, pilot seminars, live entertainment, an aviation themed interactive exhibit and displays by NASA Kennedy Space Center, arts & crafts, free kids activities, car show, model rockets, RC planes, great food and more.
Organizers are asking for a donation of one jar of peanut butter or jelly to benefit the Matrix Community Center food bank.