LAKELAND, Florida — The theme for the 42nd Annual SUN ‘n FUN International Fly-In & Expo, slated for April 5-10, is Honoring Our Armed Forces.
The fly-in is SUN ‘n FUN’s largest fundraiser for the Aerospace Center for Excellence (ACE), a 25-acre, 11 building campus dedicated to aerospace and STEM education. Approximately 200,000 guests, exhibitors, volunteers, sponsors and performers are expected to attend.
Active military personnel with appropriate ID will receive free admission Tuesday through Thursday, and discounted tickets Friday through Sunday at the gate. Retired military with appropriate ID will receive discounted tickets Tuesday through Sunday at the gate.
The highlight of the week will take place at approximately 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 7, when a Flight to Honor will return along with much fanfare from Washington D.C. carrying World War II and Korean War veterans.
More than 50 airshow performers have been scheduled for this year’s show, including:
- Breitling Jet Team,
- U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team,
- U.S. Navy F-18 Hornet Demo,
- USAF F-16 Viper demo,
- USMC aerial demo,
- U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue demos,
- U.S. Navy Legacy Flight – back after three years, a dramatic formation flight with modern tactical jet and vintage World War II fighters,
- Daily Vintage Warbird Flying Showcase featuring EAA Warbirds of America, and
- U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight.
Making its first appearance at SUN ‘n FUN will be the F-35 Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter.
A twilight airshow is scheduled for 8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 6. The evening program on Saturday, April 9, will include fireworks with a night air show.
On Saturday and Sunday, classic cars and motorcycles will be in the area showcasing collections circa 1974 and older.