Cobham Life Support-ACR Products has launched 406Test.com, a new subscription-based through-the-satellite self test for all 406 MHz Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs).
Cost is $60 to register for 406Test.com, which covers a registration fee and one ELT test. There is an additional $30 fee for each additional ELT tested.
“Because 406Test.com works with satellites, there is no equipment to buy or install,” said Dr. Scott Morgan, Director of Business Development, Satellite Services for ACR. “Customers can create an account on 406Test.com and quickly get started.”
The 406Test.com through-the-satellite system does not require the ELT being removed from the aircraft and can be completed in as little as five minutes.
The 406Test.com system involves:
- Writing down the ELT’s unique ID number
- Log into the account and enter the aircraft’s information
- Perform a self test of the plane’s 406 MHz ELT
- Log back into the account and verify the test was successfully received by the satellites
- Print the Compliance Certificate
According to Morgan, another benefit is the system’s maintenance management program, which allows users to house all vital aircraft, facility and beacon information in one database.
- Track which ELT is being used in a particular aircraft
- Receive e-mail reminders when an aircraft’s annual inspection is due
- Receive e-mail reminders for battery and registration replacements
- Access ELT certificates from past years
- Perform self testing more efficiently by having all aircraft, inspectors, facilities and ELTs pre-loaded into the system
The 406Test.com coverage includes North and South American and most of the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean,s including Hawaii, allowing both beacon owners on land as well as those at sea to use the service. Unlike cell phones and two-way radios, the system utilizes two geosynchronous GEOSAR satellites to provide dependable coverage.
The system also provides through-the-satellite self-testing for owners of 406 MHz ELTs, Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) and Emergency Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs). The 406Link.com program provides 406 MHz ELT, PLB and EPIRB owners with the ability to send non-distress messages for the first time via text/e-mail to family and friends, letting them know that all is OK. Pilots carrying PLBs in addition to the mandatory ELT can subscribe for as little as $39.99 (annual subscription) or upgrade to the Plus Program for $59.99 (annual subscription) that adds multiple text and e-mail messaging, trip planning, and GPS test location (must have the ACR AquaLink View or SARLink View to use).